Wednesday, February 10, 2021

I Love My Old Work Shirt


To anyone else, this shirt may look like a rag, but every stain, rip, and drop of paint on it tells a story.  It’s why I love this old denim work shirt, and why I pay tribute to it today.   

 

In the spring of 1998, one of the wholesale houses had a huge stack of 100% cotton denim shirts on sale, and I bought an XL one because I was pregnant with my daughter.   As my belly expanded and I became increasingly awkward, I found leggings to be comfortable, so the shirt became something I wore every day as a light overcoat because it was big enough to go over my t-shirts and around my middle, and long enough to cover my backside.  It was practical, easy to wash, and held my cell phone in the left pocket.   

 

After the birth, the shirt took on different responsibilities as it helped me keep my clothes clean from baby spills and burping, and the pocket became a place where I could store a small bottle of food.  It also became very useful in the garden, protecting me from the sun while keeping me cool.   During those years, I suppose I got so used to wearing it every day, that that’s why it became one of my go-to items of clothing.   When I look back over pictures, I can see I wore it often.   

 

As the shirt got older, it graduated to another job of protecting my clothes as I painted the house and tackled small home improvement projects.  It got a lot of different colors of paint on it over the years because I love to paint a room.  I love the way paint changes the feeling of a room, and I am always curious what a room will feel like when painted an odd color.  Most of my paint came off the ‘Oops’ clearance paints, and I learned a lot about color and light because of that.  Of course, my trusty work shirt was right there to support my painting habit.

 

When I see all the paint drops on the shirt today, it reminds me of all those happy times of painting. and I see how the shirt is a record of all the love and hard work I poured into making my home a place I love to be. 

 

Last year I found a couple of denim shirts to replace it, and this year, my lovely friend, Melissa sent me one she embroidered.   I love them just as much.   Eventually I will have to retire my old work shirt to my paint rags, but until then, it will remain in my closet, a faithful friend, and ready to help.  





 

1 comment:

GreekStreet Apparel said...

greek street Denim shirts are a popular clothing item that can be worn by both men and women. Here are some features of denim shirts:

Fabric: Denim shirts are typically made from a sturdy, woven cotton fabric that is known for its durability.

Texture: The texture of denim fabric is characterized by its diagonal ribbing or twill weave, which creates a unique and rugged appearance.

Color: Denim shirts are usually blue, but can also come in other colors like black, grey, and white.

Style: Denim shirts can come in a variety of styles, including button-down, collared, and sleeveless, and can also feature different cuts and fits.

Design: Denim shirts may include decorative features such as pockets, embroidery, or distressing for a more worn-in, vintage look.

Versatility: Denim shirts can be dressed up or down, and are suitable for a variety of occasions and settings, from casual to semi-formal.

Comfort: The breathable, lightweight fabric of denim shirts makes them comfortable to wear in a range of temperatures.

Overall, denim shirts are a versatile and stylish clothing item that can be a great addition to any wardrobe.