Wednesday, February 3, 2021

I Love a Convertible!


 

I love a convertible!  I really do, and I remember the exact moment I fell in love with them.

When I was a senior in high school in 1980, a not-so-popular girl came to school  in a 1970 Cadillac DeVille convertible.  It was bright red with white leather interior, and everyone was excited about it.  All the popular kids wanted a ride.    I remember thinking that when you have a convertible, it doesn't seem to matter what make or model it is -- or even what year it is, the car can be ten-years-old and it's still wonderful!  

I didn't buy my Sebring convertible until 2006, and I am so glad I did because it has given me years of pleasure.   Over the years that pleasure hasn't faded, and I find I can never be in a bad mood when I put the top down.  It's magic!  There's something about unlocking the top and pushing that button that makes all the worries of the day fade away.   

A lot of people might think that a convertible isn't practical, but I find it does more than a regular car.  Besides promoting happy thoughts and feelings, I often call it my bohemian pick-up truck because I can haul just about ANYTHING in it as long as it isn't raining.  

Winter with the top down is the most fun.  I loved it this year especially because we brought our Christmas tree home in it, and it made people smile to see the tree in the back.  That kind of thing brings joy into the world.  People laughed and waved.  They got it.

It has amazed shop owners to see how I have hauled beds and chairs and outdoor furniture, configuring it in all kinds of ways to make it fit ...  and I constantly amaze my husband with how many building supplies can be put into it.  My most impressive feat was a stack of 16-feet boards.  He bet me I couldn't do it ... and an old man at Lowe's watched me because it was so impressive; he even offered me help once he saw it could be done.  I kid you not!!  My husband bought the beer that night!

The greatest joys for me, though, are the long trips.  I have driven from Rochester, New York to Seattle, Washington (It's an amazing feeling to fly through Montana on I-90 with the top down.) From Tacoma, Washington to San Francisco, Rochester, NY to Macon, Georgia.   Every time, it's wonderful!     

For the rest of my life, I hope I will always drive a convertible.  Life is too short not to.  


No comments: