Friday, February 26, 2021

I Love Making Enchiladas


Ever since C-19, my consumption of vegan and vegetarian meals has increased.   To make it easy on myself, I roast a lot of vegetables and make enough grains to last the week.  

Most of the time, I eat bowls of grains and beans, with seasonal vegetables.  To make the bowls more interesting, I sprinkle nuts and add in some kind of pickle or maybe a little cheese.   After awhile, though, the bowls start tasting the same.  That's when I know my imagination needs a boost, and I turn to ethnic flavors.   

When I think about the world, I think how amazing it is that same ingredients become something else depending on the country and imagination.  Like I said I eat grains and vegetables  ... but with just a few additions, the bowls become Mexican enchiladas when I mix my grain (farro) with my beans (black beans) and seasonal vegetables (roasted potatoes and carrots) ... toss in some chopped onion and frozen corn ... which I might have in a bowl anyway ... 

These ingredients (essentially a bowl) transform as I add cumin and some salsa verde to the mixture and stuff into corn tortillas.  Taken a bit further, I cover them with a can of summer tomatoes and diced jalapeños, throw on some cheese and bake.   

Absolute magic!  Same ingredients ... and it satisfies everything! 

AMANDA'S ENCHILADAS

INGREDIENTS

pre-cooked farro (cooked in vegetable stock-mostly onion/garlic)
black beans
a little bit of roasted vegetable (potato and carrot)
chopped onion
frozen corn
salsa verde
cumin and salt to taste
MIX THE ABOVE AND STUFF INTO

corn tortillas
and
PLACE IN A CASSEROLE DISH

TOP ENCHILADAS WITH
chopped can of tomato
diced pickled jalapeño
or a jar of salsa

TOP THIS WITH
mexican cheese

STICK IN THE OVEN
375 to 400 until the cheese bubbles.
About 40 minutes.


No comments: