Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Love Locks


   Photo by David Porter

The images of the love locks around Austria are part of the inspiration for my #messageoflove #artinstallation.  

When I was visiting Austria in 2018, my husband and I encountered love locks on bridges in many of the big cities--Graz, Salzburg, Vienna, etc.   Evidently locking an inscribed padlock to a fence on a bridge is now a 100-year-old ration.  Lovers write or scratch their initials onto their lock, then attach it to the fencing on a bridge, and finally throw the key into the water below.  It symbolizes abiding love.  

Abiding love is powerful.  In my opinion, it is the greatest kind of love because it chooses to love in spite of hatred or unkindness.  

Because I believe this (even though I am human and cannot love all the time), this belief compels me to create a #bridgeoflove along the sidewalk in front of my house.  On it, I want to attach #hearts that will hopefully amuse my neighbors and the people from @stronghospital who walk the neighborhood, and still make them think.  I want to emphasize the message that #loveisaverb

 

Perhaps if we are reminded that #loveisachoice, we can work together and heal our nation.



No comments: