Wednesday, January 20, 2021

for Knitters - Easy Weaving Tutorial




I love knitting on beautiful yarns--wools, cashmere, silk ...  and when I am done with a project and the weaving in is done, I have a collection of four to five inch strands of the most beautiful yarn scraps.  I'm sentimental about them because their combination is beautiful and I know the yarn is good and I hate throwing them away.  So this is an idea I came up with so that I won't have to part with them ... and the finished coasters hold happy memories of my knitting.  

Over the course of a year, I can collect enough to create several coasters by weaving them on a simple loom. 

Here's one way to do it:

1.  Wrap a simple loom with leftover yarn from a project onto a potholder loop loom.  This creates the warp.  The weft is created by using the collected yarn scraps.  As you finish knitting projects and weave ends into your finished garments, save the scraps for the weft, and weave them into the coaster.


2.  After you have enough weaving done and you like the dimensions  carefully cut the weaving off the loom and tie them off.  Then weave these strands into the coaster.  If you want to make it extra secure, take a sewing machine and stitch along the frayed edge side ... but really, you don't have to.


3.  Enjoy! 



Here are some examples from over the years.  I used different yarns as my warp and the combinations never disappoint.  








No comments: